Hard Tack Candy
Hard tack brings back many memories of my Grandma. She made hard tack every year for Christmas and her favorite flavor was cinnamon. She always had a candy dish full of hard tack for us to enjoy.
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup water
1 dram (1tsp.) LorAnn super-strength flavoring, any flavor
Liquid food coloring
Have all ingredients and tools assembled and within easy reach of the stove. Lightly spray cookie sheet/jelly roll pan.
1. In a heavy bottom 2-quart saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Insert candy thermometer, making certain it does not touch the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring.
3. Continue to cook the syrup, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 300º F.
4. Remove from heat precisely at 300° F (temperature will continue rising), or until drops of syrup form hard, brittle threads in cold water (hard crack stage).
6. Allow to cool for 2 – 3 minutes.
7. Stir in food coloring to your desired color.
8. Add the flavoring, the less your flavoring smokes the stronger the flavor will be.
9. The trick is to wait long enough so the flavoring doesn’t smoke much but not to long that the candy starts to set up.
10. Carefully pour syrup onto greased cookie sheet to cool slightly.
11. Either allow to cool completely and break into pieces
11. Allow to cool enough to handle and use scissors to cut into small pieces.
12. Drop into a bowl of powdered sugar so candy doesn’t stick together.
13. Store in an airtight container